Run to the FIRE!
So, here we are another national tragedy. Another time our FLAG is at “Half Staff”.
Only a CHURCH ablaze with GOOD NEWS can Respond to this bad news! While many run away the Church should always RUN to the FIRE!
- Our text shows Jesus being debriefed after a terrible event in their news cycle
- Jesus responds like a Donald Trump “tweet”, unless you REPENT…
- Jesus goes even further in the “hard saying” and tells of another sad EVENT
What could Jesus possibly mean by his callous response to this tragic EVENT?
What can we learn from this text that can help us understand how to react to NEWS?
CONTEXT: Luke 12:49 “I have come to cast fire upon the earth; and how I wish it were already kindled! 50 “But I have a baptism to undergo, and how distressed I am until it is accomplished! 51 “Do you suppose that I came to grant peace on earth? I tell you, no, but rather division;
- Jesus came to start a Fire? What kind of FIRE?
- Jesus had to undergo a Baptism? What kind of Baptism?
- Jesus came to create a Division? What kind of Division?
(The context doesn’t help much, this is Worse, He’s sounding like our Pres.)
Luke 12:35 “Be dressed ready for service and keep your lamps burning, 36 like servants waiting for their master to return from a wedding banquet, so that when he comes and knocks they can immediately open the door for him.
“Be Ready for Service, Keep your Lamps Burning” (Hmm!)
Jesus is on a Mission (the Kingdom) He has a Message (the Gospel)
- Jesus wants His Disciples FOCUSED (not distracted)
- He Wants to Release His PASSION (Fire) on the Earth
- The Disciples NEED to BURN with the Same Passion
- He must undergo “a Baptism” Suffering/Death to CHANGE the World
- People will be DIVIDED, some will ACCEPT and some will REJECT
- Jesus’ REVOLUTION will be a SPIRITUAL one NOT a Military one
- For thousands of years mankind has only know a way of VIOLENCE
- The VIOLENCE that Jesus is advocating is an INNER Violence a CONQUERING of the HUMAN Heart!
- ISRAEL was still seeking a MILITARY SOLUTION
- ZEALOTS had probably killed some Roman Soldiers and Pilate had retaliated by Killing Jewish WORSHIPS in the TEMPLE
- This would defile the TEMPLE under Jewish LAW
- Jesus is URGING Israel to RESTRAIN themselves for they were heading down the ROAD to battle that they Could NOT WIN!
- Therefore REPENT, turn around, think again – for your PLANS will FAIL!!!
- By the way, that tower that fell on the Galileans, was that because they were WORSE sinners than you? NO! Repent or DIE!
I’m assuming that you do not think that God used the gunman in Las Vegas as a kind of Judgment on that wicked “sin city” (After all, Jesus wept over cities)
If there is a WARNING to be heard, it’s, “Our solutions are Not Working!”
Our Problems is SPIRITUAL on. There cannot be a POLITICAL Answer to a SPIRITUAL Problem, only a SPIRITUAL answer!
This is Why, Jesus had a “FIRE” that He wished to RELEASE on the EARTH!
- The FIRE was what every REVOLUTIONARY wants: “Things as they should be”
- The Fire that Burned within Him was a MISSION and a MESSAGE
- Jesus wanted to RESTORE Life as it ought to be. (as in the garden of EDEN)
- Yet it was not a MILITARY answer, not of VIOLENCE, (many wanted VOLENCE)
- He DIVIDED many because He stood for RIGHTEOUSNESS, not REVENGE
- Jesus underwent His BAPTISM and WON! He is LORD! He released the FIRE
Will you join Him and RUN TO THE FIRE and Not away from it?
What can we can DO after an EVENT:
- PRAY and Intercede before and after an EVENT, it WORKS!
- Support other Ministers and MINISTRIES who are close to the EVENT
- Take Jesus MISSION and MESSAGE serious and CHANGE HEARTS
Only a CHURCH ablaze with GOOD NEWS can Respond to this bad news!
RUN to the FIRE!